Image Map

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Mod Podge Jewelry Box

I had recently been looking around Pinterest and blogs for a tutorial on sprucing up a jewelry box from Michael's.  I found a few things that mentioned using adhesive fabric paper but they didn't have any at my local Michael's or Joanne's so I decided to try something a little different.  I ended up using scrapbook paper and Mod Podge and wa-la! Beautiful jewelry box!


Here's what you'll need:
  • Mod Podge (found at your local craft store.)
  • Plain wooden box (I found mine at Michael's. They have all kinds of sizes.)
  • Scrapbook paper (I also got mine at Michael's for about a dollar a sheet. I used two sheets but it depends on the size of your box.)
  • Scissors
  • Small paint brush
  • Slightly larger paint brush (optional)
First, you'll need to cut your scrapbook paper according to all sides of the box.  This can get a bit tricky if you have a clasp on your box like I did.  I just measured as best I could and cut very carefully.  I also measured all sides of the box accordingly and labeled on the back where I would like them to go so I didn't forget (front, back, bottom, side etc.)

After that it's time to use your Mod Podge!  I did each section at a time starting with the top and top front of the box.  I used my small paint brush to brush on some Mod Podge all over the section I was working on.  Be sure and work quite quickly because the Mod Podge does dry fast.


After applying Mod Podge all over that section carefully put the scrapbook paper you have cut out for that section on the box and smooth out to prevent any bubbling.  I pressed the paper down for a few seconds to make sure it would stick well.  And wa-la! The top part is already starting to look like a pretty jewelry box!

I continued to do this all over the box until it was covered with scrapbook paper.  I then left the box overnight to dry.  BE SURE AND LEAVE THE LID OPEN WHEN DRYING so that your box does not dry glued shut.

Twenty-four hours later I came back to my box and it was time for the finishing coat.  I got out my Mod Podge again and a slightly bigger paint brush.


I then painted a thin coat of Mod Podge all over the box to give it a glossy finnish and help seal on the scrapbook paper.  This took me a total of about ten minutes.  I again left it to dry overnight WITH THE LID OPEN. After it's finished drying you have yourself a vintage looking jewelry box for around $10!

Here's the finished product! Hope you all enjoy and find this this tutorial helpful!


1 comment:

  1. Oh my! I love this DIY project. It is so pretty!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Happy Thursday!
    much love, Colie.

    theplaidsparrow.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete