Image Map

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Loss

   Today was one of the hardest days of my life, I had to put my eleven year old Australian Shepherd to sleep this morning.  I'm sure that all of you that have dogs understand that a dog isn't just a pet, they become a member of the family and losing them is like losing a part of the family.  Roxy was my dog; I had been told by my parents on my 11th birthday that I could finally get my own dog.  So long story short, a few months later we rescued her from an Australian Shepherd rescue.  She was about a year old when we got her and although we didn't know much about her past, we suspected that she had been abused.  She was wary of strangers, hated loud noises, and was terrified of water.  She became extremely trusting of our family and loved us unconditionally.


  Over the next ten years Roxy was a member of our family.  When she was younger she was full of energy, as most Aussie's are.  She could play for hours.  She loved fetch, and would catch frisbee's in the air like a pro, although if we ever left a frisbee outside over night, the next morning it would be in little pieces all over the yard.  She would go running with my dad and would herd our smaller dog around the yard.  As she got a little older she slowed down a little and loved to snuggle and be pet, but she still LOVED to fetch.

  I know I'm a bit biased but she really was the best dog in the world.  If you have never rescued an animal I suggest you do it.  It is one of the best things you can do with your life.  You'll have someone in your life that is forever grateful to you, and will love you unconditionally no matter what.


  Of course that all made today that much harder.  Making that decision is probably the most difficult thing I've ever had to do but she was in pain and it wouldn't have been right to keep her here.  She had a good life and I have to remember that.  I'm sure all of you who have lost a pet know how hard it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment