Image Map

Friday, October 5, 2012

Why Upper Division Classes Suck

  Alright, so in case you all didn't know, I'm a college student.  Like most college students I have days where I want to tear apart all of my text books that I spent hundreds of dollars on and spend my thousands of tuition dollars on something important, like a really nice house or my own zoo; anything but this tortuous thing I put myself through called an education.  Well my friends, this week is one of those weeks.

 I have shared with you all in the past few months about the changes in my life but if you haven't been keeping up I just moved and transferred from a city college to a four year university, which means three years later (thanks state of California and your budget issues) I am finally starting my upper division.  Upper division is a terrible thing, it makes you question everything you have chosen to be and everything you think you want to become.  Your lower division classes, especially in your major are pretty cool because they make you think, "okay, I can handle this."  Then all of the sudden guess what, you can't.
 
  Take me for example, after a whopping single semester living in Monterey Bay and tons of soul searching (one semester of art) I decided to throw aside my versatile major of communications and trade it in for one in  art history.  This came about after getting a 98% on my first art exam and 100% on my second.  I walked out of class after getting back the second exam thinking I did it, I found my calling.  So much to my family's dismay I changed my major with no plan for my future whatsoever.  I spent the next three semesters in all the art history classes I could take at city college getting all A's.  It was love, the only time I have ever even remotely liked school.
 
  But now I have moved on to my upper division and I am taking a studio class and there is not a day that goes by that I don't think about giving up on school and becoming that creepy lady at the bus stop that talks to her hand.  I guess it makes sense for your upper division to be tougher but this week it has just made me feel like a loser.  I know I am just having a bad week and the feeling will pass, it always does, it's just that this is my blog and I can vent here about my stupid week and my stupid upper division classes if I want.  It's just been one of those weeks where you wonder, "what the hell am I doing with my life?"  I don't have a clear answer for you but for now i'll enjoy the fact that i'm taking out loans to go to a school that has a division 1 football team and a Juice it Up on campus. Worth it.

2 comments:

  1. I feel your pain. There are so many times when I was in college that I just felt like going crazy because it was so hard. I studied biology, so things were really intense. Keep pushing through, there is a light at the end of the tunnel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the encouragement. I just have to keep telling myself that! :)

      Delete