Image Map

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Homemade Exfoliant

We all know exfoliating is an important part of a well rounded skin care routine but if you're like me many store bought exfoliants dry your skin out and can leave your face feeling tight.  That is exactly why I have started making my own natural exfoliant at home!  Now, before I walk you through how I exfoliate my skin I would like to stress that I am not a dermatologist and everyone's skin is different, this is just what has worked for me and my extremely dry skin.  Also, remember not to exfoliate anymore than once or twice a week.  It is not something you should be doing to your skin daily, it will probably get irritated and/or dry out.


What You'll Need:
  • Honey
  • Brown Sugar (I have heard people with more sensitive skin prefer to use oats.)
  • Water
  • Bowl
1.  Put some of the brown sugar in a bowl.  If you are exfoliating by yourself (not that it should be a group event but sometimes my sister and I exfoliate together. BONDING!) you do not need that much. Maybe just one to one and a half small spoonfuls.

2.  Squirt some honey on top of the brown sugar.  I do not exactly measure it but it is about 1 teaspoon.  Your brown sugar and honey will then look like this...


3.  Next you will want to add some water to your brown sugar honey mixture.  It is very important not to add too much water because your exfoliant will become soupy and the sugar will start to dissolve.  I usually just put some water on my fingertips and sprinkle it over the brown sugar and honey.  Do this a couple times then mix the exfoliant with a spoon until it looks like this...


The mixture should still be a bit thick although I'm sure you cannot tell from the picture.  You can add more brown sugar if it gets too watery.

4.  Splash you face with warm water (not too hot) then start scrubbing your face with the exfoliant.  Massage the mixture around your entire face gently.  Let me say that again, GENTLY.  Way too many people abuse exfoliants by scrubbing them roughly on their face thinking that will scrub away all their dry skin.  If you are not gentle it will dry out or irritate your skin.  I do this around my entire face for a couple minutes.

5.  Rinse face with warm water, make sure to get all of the exfoliant off of your face because no one wants to find sugar behind your ear later.  You will probably get it in your mouth at one point but hey it's just sugar and honey! And yes, it does kind of taste like baby food but you won't die.  Finish by splashing some cold water on you face to snap pores shut and don't for get to moisturize right after!  I use Cetaphil because it's amazing.

When you are done your skin will be happy and thank you!  Like this...


1 comment:

  1. Hi sweet lady! I found your blog via Urban Anthropology and am SO GLAD that I did! I'm your newest follower! xoxo

    ReplyDelete